I usually make Sāmbhar using radish. The other day I wanted to make something different and ended up making radish curry.
1) Radish - 2 cups ( white one )
2) Grated coconut –1/2 cup
3) Red chillies – 2
3) Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
4) urad dhal – 1 tsp
5) salt – as per taste
6) Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
7) Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
8) Curry leaves – few
9) Asafoetida – a pinch
1) Wash the radish and peel the outer skin. Grate the Radish.
2) Heat some oil in the pan , add the mustard seeds , once it splutters , Add the urad dhal , cumin seeds. once it starts sizzling , Add the red chillies then the curry leaves and pinch of Asafoetida powder . Add the grated radish followed by turmeric powder and salt. Cover it and allow it cook until the radish is well cooked.
3) Add the grated coconut , stir it well and switch off the flame.
Radish curry is now ready and can be served with rice and dhal.