Rice Flour – 2 cups
Tamarind extract – 1 3/4 cups
Asafoetida – a pinch
Turmeric – a pinch
Salt – As per taste
Red chilli – 2
Mor milagai – small – 4 ( optional , if it is not there , use 2 more red chilli )
Oil – 1/4 cup
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Chana dhal – 1tsp
Urad dhal – 1tsp
Curry leaves – few
1) Soak Tamarind in water and extract the juice.
2) In a mixing bowl , Add rice flour , turmeric , salt and Asafoetida
3) Add Tamarind extract to the mix and mix it well without lumps. ( the batter should be slightly watery than the chapathi dough.
4) In the pan , Add oil and fry the Mor milagai first until it becomes black or dark brown and keep it aside.
5) In the same pan , temper Mustard seeds , urad dhal , chana dhal and red chillies,
6) Add curry leaves and Mor Milagai. Now add the Rice mixture
7) Cook it in the low – medium flame and keep breaking the lumps using the ladle. Cook until the Upma becomes soft.
Note : I used the store bought rice flour.
If the rice flour is not good , the upma might become sticky. Also You need to more oil to make this upma.