I have never heard of Irupuli until my mother in law made this when she was here. It is mix of Thengai aracha kuzhambu and more kuzhambhu. I wanted to try this recipe on my own and made it last week.
Below is the recipe
Drumstick ( Frozen ) – 10 ( put in water for few mins and cut into half )
Yam – Frozen – 8 to 10 pieces ( I cut this into small pieces )
Tamarind – 1 small lemon size
Buttermilk – 1 cup
Salt – based on taste
Grated coconut – 3/4 cup
Fenugreek – 1/4 tsp
Red chillies – 5
Rice – 1 tsp ( soak it in water )
Oil , Mustard seeds and Curry leaves
1. Soak the tamarind in water and microwave it for few seconds and extract the juice.
2. In a pan , add little oil , Add fenugreek and red chillies . Fry it until becomes roasted / red.
3. Remove it from heat and allow it to cool for sometime
4. In a mixer , add coconut , rice, fenugreek, red chillies and grind it to paste.
5. Add the cut vegetables in the pan and little water cook it for sometime.
6. Once the vegetables are half cooked , add tamarind extract , salt and allow it to boil.
7. Add the ground paste, mix it well and leave it for sometime.
8.Finally add the buttermilk and when it starts boiling , remove from heat.
9. Heat oil in pan and add mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds begins to splutter add little curry leaves . Add it to the kuzhambu .
Irupuli kuzhambu is now ready to serve with hot steamed rice.